1. In the first instance it is up to the PE teacher to identify athletic talent .... running, jumping, throwing.
2. The PE TEACHER should offer the following pathway, outlined below, to talented pupils.
3. How do the AGE GROUPS work?
They are DIFFERENT to other school sports because the AGE DEADLINE is set at the end of the school year, 31 August midnight. (So an Under 12 rugby player is an Under 13 athlete) BUT we now prefer to use YEAR GROUPS for clarity.
Athletics Age Groups:
4. A pupil, representing their school, should firstly be entered into the District championships.
5. There are FIVE DISTRICTS to cover all areas of Northumberland:
THREE ATHLETES are chosen from each area to compete at the County Championships, except for Newcastle who are allowed 4. In exceptional circumstances Areas are allowed to excede those numbers.
6. There are TWO CHAMPIONSHIPS at COUNTY LEVEL -
7. There is NO FURTHER PROGRESSION FOR ATHLETES IN THE MINORS SECTION.
ATHLETES COMING FIRST and SECOND in the (Senior) County Championships are automatically selected to represent Northumberland at the INTER COUNTIES MEETING with Durham, Cumbria and Cleveland which normally takes place the following weekend.
8. IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE INTER COUNTIES MEETING the Northumberland Team is selected to represent the county at the English Schools' AA Track & Field Championships.
Northumberland is rated as a B-county and is allowed a maximum of 35 athletes to take to the championships. The ESAA publishes ENTRY STANDARDS (ES) for every event and athletes should gain those standards in order to qualify for selection.
9. At the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, at INTERMEDIATE LEVEL ONLY, the first two athletes are selected to represent England at the Schools' International, organised by the Schools' International Athletic Board (SIAB).
10. In some years the ESAA may decide to enter an ENGLAND INTERMEDIATE TEAM in to the World Schools' Championships, organised by the International Schools' Sports Federation (ISF). This is dependent on two factors: firstly, that two school teams must also be entered and, secondly, that the ESAA can financially afford to send a team (which is not always the case when events are at some distance)
11. THE ESAA TRACK and FIELD CUP is completely different to the above. It is a SCHOOL TEAM EVENT and has nothing to do with INDIVIDUAL SELECTION for anything!
Also the TF CUP ages are different too: